Sunday, May 6, 2012

Prometheus

With it’s blend of epic action and big philosophical ideas that offer an alternative to the usual blockbuster season fare, Prometheus is one movie that has filled me with excitement. Add that fact that it has been surrounded by mystery, its definite connections to Scott’s 1979 classic ‘Alien', its impressive cast and I am on the verge of wetting myself. Plus, for those of us interested in film and advertising, the Prometheus team has pulled a blinder. I feel as if Prometheus has barely been off my online menu for the last six months. Here are some promotional work:

First, a fake TED talk:




Then an ad for the android:




Then the last of several trailers:





And the meta-website.



The idea of a future TED talk is a really clever one, as is the android ad, but the really smart thing is how well they fit with the film itself. I don’t think the same approach would work for just any movie, after all, it’s quite arch and knowing, something that would probably not suit a straightforward blockbuster, such as The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises; nor do I feel that it would fit a smaller indie – that level of marketing power and knowhow would seem at odds with the reduced ambitions of a lower-budget movie.









No comments:

Post a Comment